Sunday, February 19, 2006

those cartoons and tolerance

Flemming Rose, the editor of the Danish newspaper that published those cartoons depicting Mohammed that have sparked such a furor, today explains why he decided to commission and run the cartoons.

He discusses freedom of expression and self-censorship as among his motivations. One thing he said strikes me as particularly applicable, not just to questions of Islam but about all religions and the respect they are due.
But what does respect mean? When I visit a mosque, I show my respect by taking off my shoes. I follow the customs, just as I do in a church, synagogue or other holy place. But if a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy.
Well said. And that doesn't just apply to Muslims.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home