Monday, September 05, 2005

a question about flags...

No knock at William Rehnquist intended here, but I was struck that far as I can tell, Federal government flags were NOT at half mast after Katrina hit, but were after one old, frail cancer patient finally died. They were half-mast after 9/11, right? And it looks increasingly likely that more people will have died from Katrina and the aftermath than from those attacks.

I guess it's just harder to make political hay from a fucked up relief operation than from a "gosh we didn't see it coming" terrorist attack.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rehnquist was a national leader. It is common practice to do so, is it not?

Katrina is a weather phenomenon and a colossal catastrophe, but not that which we normally lower the flags. [I think we did for the shuttle disasters, so I understand where you are coming from.]

I don't think we (the nation) should get into the practice of commemorating disasters, as you never know how small the limit should be. (Lower the flag for 700 deaths, but not 640? What about 64 deaths? and so on...)

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home