Thursday, August 10, 2006

glad i wasn't flying today

I'm glad I wasn't flying today, and I'm glad I'm not flying this weekend. I'm glad British intelligence and police got wind of the plot and no planes were blown up.

But isn't the complete ban on liquids in the cabin, and a second security check closer to the gate, a bit of an over-reaction? OK, maybe in the short run, if there are still some suspects at large, it can be justified. But screenings don't stop this sort of threat. Good intelligence and police work do.

Hunter at Daily Kos has a good summary of the difference between British and US anti-terrorism efforts: the British actually make arrests and get convictions, without fundamentally undermining civil liberties. The US just takes away your Diet Coke, and tortures people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home