Monday, December 12, 2005

ten years of sizzling eyes

Ten years of Lasik. I can't bring myself to do it. First, the description from friends about smelling their own eyes being cooked and hearing the sizzle of their eye-flesh enduring the fiery caress of the laser kind of turns me off; maybe they're exaggerating, maybe not. Second, I was taught to keep bright lights and sharp objects away from my eyes. And no, I have never lost a pair of glasses on an airplane, unlike the shmoe in this article.

No question it has its appeal. I've been wearing glasses or contacts since I was in elementary school, and yes, I'd love to wake up and not have to put on my glasses or stick contacts in my eye. But I'm very scared. I'm scared of the fact that a significant number of patients (30%) STILL need to wear glasses immediately after the surgery, that your eyes' vision will continue to worsen anyway, that some patients end up with permanently dry eyes, and a few with major complications. I can't see ever doing it. I'll keep my $5000 I guess and invest in more contact lenses and glasses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home